Can I also use an EHIC in the Netherlands?

Do you live in an EU/EEA country, Switzerland or the United Kingdom? If so, you are entitled to medical care in the Netherlands. You do not need to request permission. That means you can also come to the Netherlands specifically to receive treatment. In the Netherlands you can use the EHIC that you received from us.


Bear in mind that to receive care under the Long-Term Care Act (Wlz) you need a care assessment decision. You can request such a decision from the Care Assessment Centre (Centrum indicatiestelling zorg - CIZ - only in Dutch). You can do this before you come to the Netherlands or during your (temporary) stay here.

More information

Read more on I want to go to the the Netherlands for medical treatment

On the website of Zilveren Kruis you'll find information on which healthcare is covered and what you need to do to get a refund. 

Information for retirees and beneficiaries (

Information for family members of cross-border workers (

What are you searching for?

Tip: enter one or two words.

De website van het CAK maakt gebruik van cookies.

Wij kunnen u dan zo goed mogelijk helpen. Het accepteren van cookies zorgt ervoor dat deze website goed werkt en dat wij onze website steeds kunnen verbeteren.
Uiteraard zorgen wij goed voor uw privacy.