I have paid healthcare costs abroad. How can I get these costs refunded?

Do you have an EHIC but still had to pay a doctor or pharmacy directly? In such a case you can still claim back the costs from us. Use the form Declaration costs of medical care of a treaty-entitled person (7.10.2021, PDF, 944 kB).

Which documents do I need to enclose?

Enclose the following documents with the claim form:

  • the original invoices you paid;
  • referral letters and/or prescriptions from the doctor.

Which costs can I not claim from the CAK?

You can only claim costs from us that you have incurred in an EU/EEA country or Switzerland or the United Kingdom. In all other situations the following applies:

  • Costs incurred by your family members in all other countries can possibly be claimed from the health insurance fund in their country of residence or from your travel insurer.
  • Any costs your family members incur in their country of residence must be claimed from the health insurance fund in that country.
  • Costs incurred while you are on holiday on a cruise ship are private healthcare costs. You may be able to claim these from your travel insurer.
  • Costs incurred in the Netherlands must be claimed from:

Zilveren Kruis

Groep Buitenlands Recht

Postbus 650


See the Zilveren Kruis website for more information

Please note

Do you have health insurance in the Netherlands? If so, costs that any family members included under your policy have incurred in other treaty countries, such as Turkey, can also be claimed from the CAK.

Last modified on 20 October 2021

What are you searching for?

Tip: enter one or two words.

De website van het CAK maakt gebruik van cookies.

Wij kunnen u dan zo goed mogelijk helpen. Het accepteren van cookies zorgt ervoor dat deze website goed werkt en dat wij onze website steeds kunnen verbeteren.
Uiteraard zorgen wij goed voor uw privacy.