Can I also use an EHIC in the Netherlands?

Do you live in an EU/EEA country or Switzerland or the United Kingdom? If so, you are entitled to medical care in the Netherlands. You do not need to request permission. That means you can also come to the Netherlands specifically to receive treatment. In the Netherlands you can use the EHIC that you received from us.

Do you not yet have an EHIC? In that case you can apply for one.

Please note: Bear in mind that to receive care under the Long-Term Care Act (Wlz) you need a care assessment decision. You can request such a decision from the Care Assessment Centre (, in Dutch only). This can be done before you come to the Netherlands or during your stay here.

More information

You can find out more at I want to go to the Netherlands for medical treatment.

Information for pensioners and benefit recipients (

Information for family members of cross-border workers (


Last modified on 20 October 2021

What are you searching for?

Tip: enter one or two words.

De website van het CAK maakt gebruik van cookies.

Wij kunnen u dan zo goed mogelijk helpen. Het accepteren van cookies zorgt ervoor dat deze website goed werkt en dat wij onze website steeds kunnen verbeteren.
Uiteraard zorgen wij goed voor uw privacy.