What is an EHIC?

EHIC stands for European Health Insurance Card. This card is issued free of charge. An EHIC entitles you to medical care if you fall ill while on holiday in Europe (outside your country of residence).

The EHIC is valid in EU countries and in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. And in the countries of the United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales). You will receive care in accordance with the rules that apply in the country you are visiting. That means that healthcare providers will treat you in the same way as people who are compulsorily insured in that country.

The EHIC from the CAK

You can only apply for an EHIC from the CAK if you live abroad and are registered with the CAK as a treaty-entitled person. The same also applies to your family members.

Do you live or work in the Netherlands or do you have Dutch health insurance? In that case you can apply for an EHIC from your Dutch health insurer.

EHIC is not travel insurance

The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. For example, the card does not cover private healthcare, e.g. the costs of repatriation (return journey home), lost or stolen property or medical care on a cruise ship.

You also cannot use the EHIC if you travel to another country specifically for medical treatment. To receive treatment abroad, you must always ask the health insurance fund in your country of residence for permission first.

Overview of EHIC countries

On the European Commission website you can see where you can use your EHIC in each country. You can also see which types of care are refunded.

Please note

The EHIC is not valid in your country of residence.

What are you searching for?

Tip: enter one or two words.

De website van het CAK maakt gebruik van cookies.

Wij kunnen u dan zo goed mogelijk helpen. Het accepteren van cookies zorgt ervoor dat deze website goed werkt en dat wij onze website steeds kunnen verbeteren.
Uiteraard zorgen wij goed voor uw privacy.