Reporting the death of a treaty-entitled person

At the CAK, we call a client who lives abroad and is entitled to medical care on the account of the Netherlands a treaty-entitled person. The client receives this care in the country where they live. The country of residence settles the costs with the Netherlands. The treaty-entitled person (our client) pays a healthcare contribution to the CAK for this.

Did your family member (or client) pay a healthcare contribution for themselves and/or family members? Then the health insurance fund in the country of residence (or SVB or UWV) will notify the CAK accordingly. Registration with the health insurance fund ceases at the time of death. The CAK therefore stops collecting the healthcare contribution.

You can also report the death of your family member (or client) directly to us. To do so, use the secure contact form on this website. Do you have a death certificate? Then include this as an attachment. Read how to complete the contact form

You can also send the ‘death certificate’ by post. If you use our address label, a stamp is not required.

Please note

Were you, as a family member, co-insured with the deceased person? In that case, your healthcare insurance via the CAK will end at the time the principal insured person dies. Do you have any questions? Call us on +31 88 711 5551. Our staff will be happy to help you.

  • We will process your notification and add the death certificate to the client file.
  • As soon as we have received the obituary notice, we will send you (the heirs) a letter.
  • The letter will describe what happens next and, if necessary, we will ask you for additional information.
  • We will also ask the health insurance fund in the country of residence to confirm that the client has been deregistered there.

In the calendar year following the (year of) death of our client, we will draw up an annual statement. This states how much the client has paid in healthcare contributions. We will send this annual statement to the heirs.

Has our client paid too much and are you an heir?

Then we will ask you for proof that you are an heir and what your bank details are. But you will read that in the letter we are sending you. We may also ask for this information with the annual statement.

Has our client paid too little and are you an heir?

Then we will ask you (or the joint heirs) to pay the outstanding amount.

You are not an heir?

Then we will investigate whether the deceased client has heirs and who they are.

When will the annual statement come and will it be final?

We first need to know the world income of the deceased person in the year of death. We will receive this information from the Tax and Customs Administration in the Netherlands. In case we have not received this information yet, you will first receive a provisional annual statement.

It may also be the case that old annual statements are still open. These claims will be transferred to the heirs.

Are you an heir but wish to reject the inheritance? Please contact us on +31 88 711 5551. Our staff will discuss with you what the best thing is for you to do.

We are available on weekdays from 8.30 to 17.00.

  1. Go to the online contact form.
  2. Under ‘Which scheme is involved?’, choose ‘Health insurance and abroad’.
  3. Please enter the following details in the message field:
    • your first name and surname (or those of the family’s contact person)
    • your or the contact person’s telephone number
    • your or the contact person’s email address
    • your or the contact person’s postal address
  4. Under ‘Add attachment’, click the pink box with the arrow. Find the death certificate (.pdf or .jpg) on your computer and add the certificate.
  5. In the next block enter:
    • the deceased person’s initials
    • the deceased person’s surname
    • NB Your own email address
    • your own telephone number
  6. In the last block enter:
    • Under ‘CAK reference’, the deceased person's ID insurance number. You will find this on all the letters we have sent to the client;
    • Under ‘Date of birth’, the deceased person's date of birth.


Last modified on 11 January 2021

What are you searching for?

Tip: enter one or two words.

De website van het CAK maakt gebruik van cookies.

Wij kunnen u dan zo goed mogelijk helpen. Het accepteren van cookies zorgt ervoor dat deze website goed werkt en dat wij onze website steeds kunnen verbeteren.
Uiteraard zorgen wij goed voor uw privacy.