Can my family members also receive medical care in other EU countries?

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitles your family members to necessary medical care in EU/EEA countries and Switzerland, if they are there on holiday for example. If your family members live in an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, they can apply to us for an EHIC online. They cannot use the EHIC in their country of residence.

My family members want to travel to another EU country specifically for medical treatment. What should they do?

They need to obtain permission first. Do you only want to go there to buy medicines for them? You also need to obtain permission in advance in that case. If you have not (or not yet) received this permission and your family members still undergo treatment, or if you buy medicines without permission, there is a risk that you will have to cover the cost yourself.

Do you want more information?

You can find out more at I want to go abroad for medical treatment.

NB: With your EHIC you are also entitled to medical care in other EU countries yourself. Apply for your own card from your Dutch health insurer. You also need to ask that insurer about whether permission is required to receive treatment abroad.

What are you searching for?

Tip: enter one or two words.

De website van het CAK maakt gebruik van cookies.

Wij kunnen u dan zo goed mogelijk helpen. Het accepteren van cookies zorgt ervoor dat deze website goed werkt en dat wij onze website steeds kunnen verbeteren.
Uiteraard zorgen wij goed voor uw privacy.