Will my family members remain insured in the Netherlands if I am a Dutch civil servant who is posted abroad?
If you live and work abroad, you remain compulsorily insured in the Netherlands. That is not always the case for any family members living with you. It depends on the country to which you have been posted. See which situation applies to you below.
To which country have you been posted?
I have been posted to an EU/EEA country or Switzerland
In that case any family members living with you cannot remain insured in the Netherlands. They can, however, be included under your policy in your country of employment, as you have Dutch health insurance.
- To arrange to include them under your policy, apply to the CAK for an S1 for your family members.
- You need to request a separate S1 for each of them.
- Submit the form to a health insurance fund in your country of employment. They will determine which family members are included under your policy.
- The CAK registers any co-insured family members.
- You and your co-insured family members will be entitled to medical care in accordance with the laws of your country of employment.
- You yourself will also be entitled to medical care in your country of employment in accordance with the terms and conditions of your health insurance policy.
The following form can be used for your family members: Application for a document S1 for a family member (7.12.2020, PDF, 547 kB).
I have been posted to a country other than an EU/EEA country or Switzerland
In that case your family members remain insured in the Netherlands. Retain their health insurance.
My family members are working abroad or receiving a foreign statutory benefit
In that case they are usually unable to retain their Dutch health insurance. Please contact the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB.nl/en). They will determine whether your family members will remain insured under the Long-Term Care Act (Wlz).
Insured or not under the Wlz?
My family members will no longer be insured under the Wlz
Cancel their Dutch health insurance. Enquire in your country of employment about the insurance your family members can take out there.
My family members will remain insured under the Wlz
In that case retain their health insurance.