Why do I need to register with the CAK as a pensioner living abroad?

If you emigrate, your Dutch health insurance expires. Are you still receiving a statutory pension or benefit from the Netherlands and are you moving to or do you live in a treaty country? Then you must insure yourself for medical expenses through the CAK. You are legally obliged to do so. You do not have the choice to arrange your own health insurance. Your country of residence covers the care costs with the Netherlands. You pay a healthcare contribution (similar to a health insurance premium) to us.

More information

Read more on moving abroad and your health insurance
Read more on the obligated healthcare contribution in article 69 of the Zorgverzekeringswet (Dutch only)

What are you searching for?

Tip: enter one or two words.

De website van het CAK maakt gebruik van cookies.

Wij kunnen u dan zo goed mogelijk helpen. Het accepteren van cookies zorgt ervoor dat deze website goed werkt en dat wij onze website steeds kunnen verbeteren.
Uiteraard zorgen wij goed voor uw privacy.