EHIC from the CAK

Are you a treaty-entitled person? If so, you can apply for an EHIC from the CAK. To do so, you must live in a European Union (EU) country or in Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway or Switzerland.

The EHIC entitles you to necessary medical care if you travel to those countries on holiday.

EHIC stands for European Health Insurance Card. This card is issued free of charge. An EHIC entitles you to medical care if you fall ill while on holiday in Europe (outside your country of residence).

The EHIC is valid in EU countries and in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. You will receive care in accordance with the rules that apply in the country you are visiting. That means that healthcare providers will treat you in the same way as people who are compulsorily insured in that country.

Read more on the EHIC from the CAK

If you live in an EU/EEA country or Switzerland and are receiving a pension or benefit from the Netherlands, and you are also registered with the CAK, you can apply to us for an EHIC for yourself and any family members included under your policy.

Do you work in the Netherlands and do your co-insured family members live in another EU/EEA country or Switzerland? In that case you can apply to us for an EHIC for your co-insured family members. Apply for an EHIC for yourself from your Dutch health insurer.

Apply for an EHIC from the CAK

You apply for an EHIC using the online application form.

Are you applying for an EHIC for the first time? If so, find out first whether you are entitled to an EHIC. Have you previously applied for an EHIC? In that case you can apply for an EHIC directly.

How does the application for an EHIC work?

  1. You complete the application form.
  2. You receive confirmation of receipt by email.
  3. We process your application.
  4. We contact you if there is a problem while processing it.
  5. We keep you informed about the progress of your application by email.
  6. We send out your EHIC by post within 7 working days.

You can start using your EHIC as soon as you receive it. The expiry date is indicated on the EHIC.

Do you live in an EU/EEA country or Switzerland? If so, you are entitled to medical care in the Netherlands. You do not need to request permission. That means you can also come to the Netherlands specifically to receive treatment. In the Netherlands you can use the EHIC that you received from us.

Do you not yet have an EHIC? In that case you can apply for one.

Read more on using an EHIC in the Netherlands

You can apply for an EHIC from the date on which your treaty entitlement becomes effective. You will find that date in the letter we sent you. If you apply for the EHIC too early, we will unfortunately be unable to process your application.

Read more on applying online for an EHIC

You can receive necessary medical care in the country you are visiting on holiday, but only if it is an EU/EEA country or Switzerland. You will receive that care in accordance with the rules that apply in the country you are visiting.

On the European Commission website you can find out what medical care is refunded in each country. You will also find information on what you need to do to obtain a refund.

Please note: Are you travelling to another EU country specifically for medical treatment? If so, you cannot use your EHIC. In such a case you need to ask the health insurance fund in your country of residence for permission first.

Do you have an EHIC but still had to pay a doctor or pharmacy directly in cash? In such a case you can still claim back the costs from us. Use the form Declaration costs of medical care of a treaty-entitled person (13.9.2017, PDF, 87 kB).

Read more on cost declaration

Care received in private clinics is generally not refunded. Such care is often not included in a country’s statutory insurance package. That is the case in Spain, for example. Care in a private clinic does not form part of the care package there. In such a case you will receive an invoice that you will have to pay yourself. The same applies to medical care on a cruise ship, for example. Those private healthcare providers (clinics or doctors) will not accept the EHIC as a means of paying for your care. The CAK is also unable to refund those costs to you retrospectively. You therefore have to cover the entire cost yourself.

Read more on personal contribution for care abroad

Have you not received your EHIC or have you lost it?

Please contact us on the telephone number +31 88 711 5551.

What are you searching for?

Tip: enter one or two words.

De website van het CAK maakt gebruik van cookies.

Wij kunnen u dan zo goed mogelijk helpen. Het accepteren van cookies zorgt ervoor dat deze website goed werkt en dat wij onze website steeds kunnen verbeteren.
Uiteraard zorgen wij goed voor uw privacy.