I am going abroad for a study or internship

Are you going to work, study or work abroad? Then you can only continue your health insurance in the Netherlands if you remain insured under the Long-Term Care Act (Wlz).

Frequently asked questions

The Social Insurance Bank (SVB) can tell you that. On the website of the SVB you can find out in a few steps whether or not you remain Wlz-insured in the Netherlands.

I remain Wlz-insured
Keep your Dutch health insurance. You are legally obliged to do so. You may also continue to be entitled to healthcare benefits. You can check this with the Belastingdienst. Please inform your Dutch health insurance company that you are going to live abroad (temporarily). For questions about healthcare costs abroad, please contact your Dutch health insurance company. 
I am no longer Wlz-insured
Then cancel your Dutch health insurance. Do you receive healthcare benefits? Inform the Belastingdienst to end it. Ask your employer or educational institution how you can insure yourself in your (temporary) country of residence.

Check if your family members remain Wlz-insured at the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) website.

My family members remain Wlz-insured
Then they can keep their health insurance. Inform the health insurance company that they are going to live abroad (temporarily). For questions about healthcare costs abroad, they can contact their health insurer.

My family members are no longer Wlz-insured
Then end their health insurance in the Netherlands. Ask your employer or your own health insurer how you can insure your family members. Are you yourself Wlz-insured and are you going to live in a treaty country? Check our information on Working in the Netherlands and live abroad to see if you can co-insure your family members.

  • The Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) determines whether or not you remain insured under the Wlz.
  • The Zorgverzekeringslijn (in Dutch only) indicates the consequences for your health insurance per situation.
  • Check out the information at Grensinfopunt (in Dutch and German only) if you are going to live, work, study or start a business in Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands.

What are you searching for?

Tip: enter one or two words.

De website van het CAK maakt gebruik van cookies.

Wij kunnen u dan zo goed mogelijk helpen. Het accepteren van cookies zorgt ervoor dat deze website goed werkt en dat wij onze website steeds kunnen verbeteren.
Uiteraard zorgen wij goed voor uw privacy.